Literacy in the 21st century. What does it mean? Or perhaps the better question to ask is, what does it mean TO YOU?
- If you are a writer, editor, public relations manager perhaps literacy means the the ability to read and write.
- If you are a financial advisor perhaps literacy means the ability to understand “how money works in the world” (financial literacy).
- If you are a journalist, analyst, or film maker perhaps literacy means the ability to “analyze, evaluate and create messages in a wide variety of media modes…” (media literacy).
- If you are weather analyst, forest ranger, or environmentalist perhaps literacy means the ability to “understand ecological principals and the ways society affects, or responds to environmental conditions” (environmental literacy).
- In keeping with the Winter Olympics, if you are an athlete, perhaps literacy means the ability to “move with competence and confidence in a wide variety of physical activities in multiple environments” (physical literacy).
- If you are an elementary school educator, literacy means all of the above. If you are a elementary school student, literacy means all of the above.
- If you are a literacy teacher educator, literacy means… By Yiola
* definitions taken from online google searches, mainly wikipedia.